Friday, February 8, 2013

Again, Friday Travels To Texas...!

Long before modern patriots were considering succeeding from the Union, one county in Texas did more than just talk about it!

Guess the majority of true Texans have always been a little rebellious, to say the least!

Free State of Van Zandt



Van Zandt County in east Texas was once called the Free State of Van Zandt, an independent state once in conflict with the United States. Following the Civil War, federal troops were stationed in many Texas towns. Fed up with martial law, the citizens of Van Zandt voted to secede not just from Texas, but from the United States as well. The government wasn’t going to stand for any shenanigans, so US Army soldiers led by General Sheridan were sent to put down the uprising. Fortunately, the Van Zandt army had celebrated their new freedom a little too heartily and the drunks were rounded up without too much fuss. Later, many of the men escaped custody. Seceding from the US was no longer in the cards, though the resolution made by the county to separate was never formally withdrawn.

Ya know, I'm thinking that the folks in Texas back then were almost as crazy as they are today! Some things just never change!

Coffee out on the patio this morning. I'll tell you all about how my day went from bad to worse yesterday!

9 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

I bet a lot of places would love to secede until this country gets back to what it should be. Way too much government control over our everyday lives!
Glad you are back on-line. Pour the coffee and tell us about yesterday - I'll bring some Dunkin Donuts.(and an extra 'chocolate honey dipped' for Jo!)

Anonymous said...

One of those confounded Marty McFly (Back To The Future) comments went viral in the Old West I guess . . . 8^)

linda m said...

I agree with Phyllis about other places wanting to secede until we get straightened out. I don't think Texans are crazy at all. Too much snow here so coffee on the patio sounds good. Also I would be happy to lend an ear so you can tell us about your bad day yesterday. Have a nice weekend.

JO said...

Are we now the owner of a new computer? I really need to get my friend over here and get my desk top working so I can see bettter.

This poor laptop needs a break.

Phyllis you are the greatest! I'll bring some fresh ground coffee with me. We are going back down into the daytime highs of low 50's and rain.

IanH said...

Maybe those people knew something that people are missing today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
It does seem to be mostly all about control with the PTB sometimes, doesn't it?

Be careful...you and Jo are likely to put on some weight with all those goodies! Kinda like me!

I sure appreciate you coming over this morning!


Hey Anon 7:29...
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure which comment you are talking about!

I'm a little slow sometimes!

Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Linda...
Interesting to know that folks were bucking the interference of the govt. way back then! Guess it's proof that martial law is never popular!

With all that snow, our temps in the 70's are looking more and more pleasant!

I appreciate you coming over today!


Hey Jo...
Certainly not a new one, but I always keep a laptop as a backup to the desktop. In this case, I had two laptops waiting!

I'll be getting a new desktop soon, but in the meantime I can struggle with this tiny keyboard and small screen!

Good to have a spare, though.

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Ian...
Having the Union soldiers there to maintain martial law probably didn't help!

If you push folks long enough, they WILL push back!

Thanks for the visit this morning! Good to see you again!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I think Texas should be its own country. Texas has everything it needs to be self sufficient, it even has its own grid.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
I'm pretty sure the idea has been tossed around several times, but nothing ever seems to come of it!

Still, ya just never know!

Thanks, buddy, for coming over today!