Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday At The Lighthouse...!

Something a little different for this Saturday, OK? Let's do some ghost hunting!

Two main reasons I wanted to do this today. First, it's a chance for us all to go to Florida...and second, I like lighthouses! Never been to one, but I like them all the same!

St. Augustine Lighthouse
Florida, United States


This lighthouse in St. Augustine, Florida, was built in the 1600s by Spanish settlers. By 1824, it was an official US lighthouse, and was later replaced by the current lighthouse, located about a quarter mile away. The original suffered a tragedy when Mr. Andreu, the lighthouse keeper, fell to his death while painting the tower. When the lighthouse was being built there was a dispute over property and one of the parties involved, Dr. Ballard, is now rumored to haunt the place, along with the ghost of poor Mr. Andreu. Three girls are said to have drowned when the handcart they were playing in fell off the tramway, and now their spirits roam the grounds. The parade of lost souls doesn’t end there, however. When the Keeper’s House was being rented out for apartments, many tenants reported strange noises and seeing a young girl walking around. A keeper in the 1950’s even refused to live in the house, trading his living quarters to a Coast Guardsman stationed on-site. There is the mysterious Man In Blue who haunts the basement, and employees of a gift shop located in the house attributed objects being moved and noises being made to local poltergeist, Andrew. And the tower, itself, is rife with footsteps and disembodied voices. Be wary when you visit this lighthouse. Perhaps you will be its next tragedy!

Even with all the tragedy, I think this place would be fun to visit. I always thought I would like to live in a lighthouse. Just one of those dreams I've been chasing most of my life, I guess! Do you have any of those?

How about we have some coffee out on the patio this morning. I have some "mango cream" cookies. Not bad once you get used to 'em!

7 comments:

Sixbears said...

I was there just last year. Climbed to the top. It's worth checking out.

My wife and I always stop at St. A on the way home, and this year won't be any different. Don't know if I'll have time to visit the light house, but will certainly drive by it.

Didn't see any ghosts, but it has the feel of a place that would have them.

Caddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caddie said...

Thanks, Hermit; I will certainly keep this lighthouse in mind as I plan to visit St. Augustine in the near future. Ghostly encounters is right up my alley - had my own resident spirit living in our house a few years back, a poltergeist. Was she ever busy and noisy. I believe I wrote a true story about her(Claudine) on one of my blogs: www.Let Me Tell You A Story.com

Dizzy-Dick said...

One house that we used to live in had some weird things happen that couldn't be logically explained. Of course, I am the type who have to see a ghost before I will say they exist, but I do have an open mind.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JO said...

I would love to visit a Lighthouse some day. I love them. And to throw in a ghost or 2 might be very interesting. But why did they end the story with you may be the next victim? kind of creepy.

I'll have some coffee whith you but pass on the cookie. Been eating out way to much.
Did you see the sun dog yesterday? I did and caught it check it out at my place.

linda m said...

I have visited a couple of lighthouses and always found them and their history very interesting. My hubby and I had an opportunity to be lighthouse keepers once (the lighthouse was a museum) but it was too far away from his job. Always love a ghost story.