Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Something Secret For Tuesday...!

This isn't like Monday mysteries, but instead it's pretty strange.

I found this little gem over at Listverse, and I thought you might find it interesting! So...here it is!

False Face Society



Yeah, there’s no way the clothes worn by something called the False Face Society aren’t terrifying. Don’t worry, they’re not a band of psychos forcing people to re-enact Face/Off; it’s an Iroquois medicinal society. The masks are worn during healing rituals, presumably with the intent of scaring the disease out of the patient.

The more you know about the masks, the eerier they get—they’re carved from live trees in the belief that they represent a living spirit, so in a sense they’re literally putting someone else’s face on. We’d tell you more, but knowledge of the masks is secretive, which again, is creepy. Many Iroquois argue against the sale or exhibition of False Face masks, and some even believe that information about the Society shouldn’t be spread to the general public. That essentially makes it a secret society, and when are those not unnerving?

If all the masks look like that, we’re okay with them being secretive.

See? I told you it was a little strange, right? Trust me to find interesting stuff for your morning coffee! If you want to see more about these folks, you can go here!

Speaking of coffee, let's stay in the kitchen this morning. Might rain again soon!

9 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Seeing someone dance around with that on sure would cure my hiccups!
Rain would be welcome here to melt the snow, but alas, we are getting more of the white stuff tomorrow.
Make a big pot of coffee-I'll bring some fresh corn muffins.

linda m said...

That face leaning over me would cure whatever I had "lickety split". I'd be up and running. Coffee inside sounds good - still chilly here. Thanks for the corn muffins Phyllis.

JO said...

Very interesting but how did they manage to get this picture? Oh well. But like Linda said it would cure me or kill me with a heart attache.

Coffee inside sounds good to me we had so much rain yesterday and freezing this morning ice everywhere but sunny YAY

Dizzy-Dick said...

I had a doctor once that looked something like that. . . Now I know why.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
It kinda looks like my ex-mother in law! I sure don't want something like that around me , especially when I'm sick!

Bring on those corn muffins! Yeah!

Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Linda...
Can you imagine waking up after a fever induced nap and seeing that face looming over you? Man, what a shock!

Thanks so much for dropping by this morning!


Hey Jo...
This might be one of those cases where the cure is worse than the illness!

Looks like something that you might wear on Halloween!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over this morning!


Hey Dizzy...
That might be what turned your hair white, ya reckon?

Thanks, buddy, for dropping in today!



Syrbal/Labrys said...

Many things connected with religious aspects of life are secretive. And as far as sales go? I kind of get that strictly from a notion of not letting your culture be auctioned off to the highest bidder. After all, these masks are Iroquois history.

And me? I feel far safer with stuff labeled "secret" that they TELL you is secret than I do with stuff people say is "open and honest" while KEEPING secrets! I'm more unnerved by liars than by folks keeping their own counsel about their own culture.

HermitJim said...

Hey Syrbal...
I think that the sale of these mask being discouraged is just a way of showing respect that they give to the old ways.

Way too many of today's "religious " organizations have been used to further some rather dark agendas!

Thanks for coming by this morning!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a data! present here at this blog, thanks admin of this web page.

Stop by my page :: buying a car
Here is my webpage :: buying a car with bad credit,buy a car with bad credit,how to buy a car with bad credit,buying a car,buy a car,how to buy a car

Ganon'sahdon'gwas said...

As a member of the Iroquois i find it disturbing that you would put this image on your page knowing full well its secret. I respectfully ask you to please remove it. Thank you.