Tuesday, February 19, 2013

He Said What...?

Sometimes the characters that are the most visible, including sports stars, are caught saying the most stupid things!

I'd like to think that some of these quotes were made by folks just trying to be funny, but I have the feeling that this was not the case! It is a little scary, if you know what I mean!

1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model:
"I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me.

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:
"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.."

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say:
"I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl,"
Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:
"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings.."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh :
"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.." (Now that is beautiful)

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:
"You guys line up alphabetically by height.."
And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison:
"Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton .."

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker:
"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota:
"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice:
"My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt.(I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player:
"I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?'
He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:
"Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford:
"I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious."

15. Former Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded:
"Because she's too ugly to kiss good-bye."

Some of these quotes are funny and some of them are just downright sad, ya know? Some of these guys are supposed to be role models for the youngsters of the world. Doesn't speak too highly of our educational system, does it?

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. Looks like rain again!

14 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

A heck of a lot more brawns than brains! And I bet their old teaches bragged that they taught them!
Coffee in the kitchen is fine. We are going to get rain/snow showers later. It's Dunkin Donut morning - I'll bring a box!

Anonymous said...

I sure those folks washed their feet that morning because they stuck them into their mouths later on . . .

Thanks for sharing them with us, still chuckling.

linda m said...

That is just plain sad. What a sorry state of affairs when we have people out there (who are supposed to be educated and who are supposed to be role models for our children) that think and speak like that. What ever happened to our educational system. Coffee inside today. It is 15 degrees and snowing outside. Thanks for the donuts Phyllis.

BBC said...

Don't think I'd make a good role model.

JO said...

What do you expect when some teachers say things like, batroom, betroom. I couldn't believe I was hearing them speak like that.

I'm up for coffee anywhere this morning with good friends. Going to have high winds today and lots of rain tomorrow and lows in the 50's for about a week.

Syrbal/Labrys said...

Sad. And it says that colleges like Notre Dame, where the players must maintain a 3.0 grade point average to play have the better idea.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
You know me...donuts are always welcome here at the Hermit's!

It's a shame that these guys can't see themselves as others do!

Thanks for dropping by with the goodies!


Hey Anon 7:25...
I have a feeling that happens a lot!

Sad but true! Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Linda...
Makes you wonder what they have waiting for them after sports. It is indeed a sad thing.

Education sure isn't what it should be!

Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey BBC...
Many of us are in the same boat!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Jo...
Sadder yet is that many of them do it on purpose! Why? Who knows?

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!


Hey Syrbal...
There should be a standard set for all to follow, but in many cases the sports win out!

Besides, we always need more politicians...I guess! Maybe that's what is in their future!

Many thanks for coming over today!


Billy Bob said...

Boy howdy....this just made my day.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Yup, pretty sad that they were passed on to the next grade in school and then some were allowed to go to college. Seems to me college should be for those that can actually pass a test not a ball.

Of course I'm still waiting for people to realize sports are GAMES not professions. The whole thing is stupid.

HermitJim said...

Hey Billy Bob...
Glad you liked it, my friend!

I appreciate the visit today!


Hey LadyHawthorne...
It is indeed sad! Certainly is a disservice to those athletes as well!

However, with so much money to be made from athletics, it isn't likely to change anytime soon!

Thanks so much for coming over today!

Anonymous said...

I once knew a Heisman Trophy winner who could not read or write well, did not do well with school subjects, but Could That Boy Play Ball!!! And that is how he got through school. He was a nice guy, just could not read or write much.

Oh, remember Tom Landry? He actually insisted the Cowboys go to church on Sundays, and do community service too.
He ran a tough team and they were winners back then.

Annie Mouse

Anonymous said...

A long time ago, in another life, I was at the Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas Texas visiting with some children. There was a little boy who had been there a long time, he was in one of those beds that turns around to keep the kids from getting so sore and to help heal them. Sitting next to his bed was one huge man, reading a book to the boy. A Dallas Cowboy.
Then there was a little girl, very sad story, her daddy had shot her with a shot gun. And next to her bed, just sitting there. Was another Dallas Cowboy.
No publicity, no strutting down hall ways. Just men who were doing the right thing. God Bless Tom Landry and the old Dallas Cowboys.
Every Sunday you could find at least two cowboys there, with gum, candy, and smiles for the kids.
Regular people giving something of their selves to others.
Annie Mouse

Practical Parsimony said...

Those are all sad examples of grown men. No one said they were not good men. Unfortunately, these examples of mutilated English are not uncommon, just mostly not published. Being good won't get you a job. Someone failed these men by not making sure they could speak properly.

Hermit Ladee said...

"Some of these guys are supposed to be role models for the youngsters of the world."

Oh, but they shouldn't. Youngsters should be taught to admire their athletic abilities, sure. But they should save the role model status for those more deserving. And I think they do.

A couple years ago a survey was done in a grade school asking students who their "heros" were. Guess who came out in the top spot? Either Mom, Dad or both.

I know things change as they enter their teen years, but it was nice to see who they looked up to in their early formative years.