Thursday, October 4, 2012

Foodie Fact Thursday...!

Here's something a little different for ya today!

Since the unusual makes for a good read, an article like this is perfect for what we need to get the bad taste of politics out of our systems. In fact, this type of article is much more educational than a whole basket of politicians speeches, if you know what I mean!

Carrots Were Originally Purple



Carrots are mutants.

Well, orange carrots at least. Originally, purple carrots were the norm, but there were some offshoots — yellow and white ones appeared in the wild. Over time, somehow, 17th century Dutch carrot growers managed to cultivate these yellow and white ones carrots into the orange ones we are familiar with today.

The purple ones still do exist, but by far are the minority in the world of carrot colors. Want to try some? Beware — there may be a good reason why purple carrots are now the uncommon breed: the orange ones taste better. In fact, orange carrots may be a superfood of sorts when it comes to taste. A recent study showed that children said foods tasted better if favored cartoon character appeared on a box, with one food excepted: carrots.

This little know fact comes from a newsletter put out by a guy named Dan Lewis. The newsletter is named "Now I Know!" and is well worth taking a look at!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. Today I have some cheese coffee cake! OK?

10 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Just love carrots. Especially carrot cake. Very warm here @ 67 this morning and getting mighty sick of all the rain and mud! Your cheese coffee cake sounds great - I'll have ALL your leftovers!

Sixbears said...

They are one of my favorite snack foods. I must admit to being curious about the taste of the purple ones. They might add some interesting color to a stew or salad.

Anonymous said...

I saw that question on the show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader ?" and was surprised to find the different colored varieties of carrots there were. Purple, white, yellow - seriously ?

Cool.

linda m said...

Very interesting article this morning. I learned something new again. I love carrot cake - one of my favorites.

JO said...

Another lesson learned thanks to you and your reach.

Cheese coffee cake? I am on my way could use a refill its really getting cold at night. First morning walk is down right cold.

Dizzy-Dick said...

This post could be a lead in to your Sunday cartoons with Bugs Bunny (grin).

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Carrots are a very good food with lots of vitamins!

Best use...carrot cake! Seems to be a favorite!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Sixbears...
Never tasted the purple ones, but I think they would certainly add some color to a salad, like you said!

I'm sure you can find the seeds somewhere!

Thanks, my friend, for coming by today!


Hey Anon 7:35...
Mother Nature is just full of surprises when it comes to Her plants!

Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Linda...
Certainly happy to share what little knowledge I have.

Guess I'm gonna have to go get a carrot cake! Hungry for one now!

Thanks for dropping by today!


Hey Jo...
It's supposed to get chilly here this weekend and I'm ready for it!

I'll save ya a piece of the coffee cake!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by!


Hey Dizzy...
I hadn't thought of that, but it would!

Might have to try it!

Thanks, buddy, for the visit!

Bob Mc said...

A neighbor gave me some of those purple carrots last year. I didn't notice any difference in the flavor, but I ate them in a salad.

Caddie said...

Carrots are wonderful. The juice is very healthful and healing. I like the purple ones. Nice. Colorful. Drink a glass of the juice each day and you'll feel greater than great. I use a Champion Juicer, the best. Did you know some people play music with carrot instruments? Aren't people funny - do anything for a laugh.

HermitJim said...

Hey Bob...
I guess that it could certainly brighten up a salad.

Nice of the neighbor to share them with you!

Thanks for your visit today!


Hey Sissy...
I don't think I've ever had carrot juice before, but I've heard that it is pretty good!

Thanks for coming by today!