Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Traveling To Alabama...!

I figured that since it's close to Halloween, we would visit some haunted places near home.

What makes this story so interesting is that the town of Carrollton, Alabama fully accepts that the courthouse is haunted. That's unusual to say the least! Most of the time, townships and other authorities always try and deny things like this!

Pickens County Courthouse


Face In The Courthouse

The Pickens County Courthouse in Carrollton, Alabama is a courthouse in west Alabama famous for a ghostly image that can be seen in one of its windows. The image is said to be the face of Henry Wells, who, as legend has it, was falsely accused of burning down the town’s previous courthouse, and lynched on a stormy night in 1878. The image on the window is easily seen, although it is more face-like from some angles than from others. It is said that the image is only visible from outside the courthouse; from inside the pane appears to be a normal pane of glass. Since the photo above was taken, the city of Carrollton has installed, on the exterior of the courthouse, a reflective highway sign with an arrow pointing to the pane where the image appears. There are permanent binoculars installed across the street from the window for people who wish to get a closer look.

Spooky road trip, wouldn't you say? Probably close to home for some of you, and for the rest of us I'd be willing to bet that places like this are just around the corner!

Coffee on the patio this morning. Cold front is coming in, and it's supposed to get all the way down to the high 60s until about noon!

10 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Looks more like a space alien than poor Henry.

linda m said...

We have a few haunted places here in WI. In fact my husband and I were visiting a historical mansion that is supposed to be haunted and he actually saw a ghost in one of the rooms. When he mentioned it to our tour guide she started asking him question and when he told her where he saw the little girl she said my husband had described the owners daughter to a "t". Later on in the tour we saw a painting of the girl and she was the same person he saw in that room. Weird!

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -
I had my own "encounter" in our theatre in Old Town Spring. Of course, most actors accept the fact that theatres are haunted. But, I also conducted tours one Halloween of several other haunted locations in OTS - lots of them, and who knows? Hubby and I have each had our happenings, and I'll never forget the cowboy at Gail's house - walked in the front door paused at each bedroom, then out the back door. Just checking on everyone, she said, but I heard the doors and boots walking across the floor. Never felt threatened, though...

Big hugs and mugs of coffee today!!

MamaHen said...

It's odd they don't tell you how the image got on the window (a lightning strike while Henry was standing in front of the window, if I remember correctly) and that years ago they replaced that pane a few times but the image always came back. At least, that's what I remember about the story!

Duke said...

I have been on a few ghost tours in St Augustine, they are fun. Supposedly the most haunted city in the US is Savannah followed by St Augustine.

JO said...

Interesting, I have never seen any but have felt things. Like some one sitting on the edge of the bed at another place I lived.

Cool front would be nice right about now. Pass the pot please.

Sixbears said...

It's a great story, and like all great stories, I'm sure it has grown over time.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
It does look a little different, doesn't it?

Of course, I have no idea what ol' George looked like!

Thanks for the visit this morning.


Hey Linda...
I reckon that all states have their share of haunted places. Sort of scary that your hubby saw the little girl, isn't it?

Fun way to start the day!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Sis...
Gail's house did have quite a history, didn't it?

I remember about the encounter at the playhouse.

Thanks, sis, for stopping in this morning!


Hey Anne...
Now that's an interesting twist to the story that wasn't mentioned in the article I read. Thanks for adding the info!

I appreciate you coming by today!


Hey Duke...
Now that I didn't know! Learn something new everyday!

Thanks, my friend, for coming over this morning!


Hey Jo...
I have had some of those "feelings" myself! Little bit disconcerning, isn't it?

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over this morning.


Hey Sixbears...
I think that after a while, some of these stories take on a life of their own!

Thanks for dropping in today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I just love things that can't be explained. Thanks for another good one.

HermitJim said...

Not being able to explain something just makes it all the more interesting, I think!

Thanks for coming by today!