Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday's Travels to Vlad's Castle...!

There are a number of places said to be the home of Vlad the Impaler, and this one is certainly tops on the list!

I don't want to go visit these places in person, but seeing them in pictures and reading about them is fine! Call me crazy, but I don't believe in pushing my luck...ya know?

I figure that as long as ghost leave me alone, I'll leave them alone in kind! Makes sense, right?

Poenari Castle
Romania




Do not be fooled by those who tell you to visit Bran Castle in Romania to see the home of the evil Vlad the Impaler (inspiration for Dracula). Bran castle is a tourist attraction and there is no known evidence that Vlad Tepes ever stayed there. However, not so far away is the ruin of Poenari Castle – Vlad’s real home in Wallachia. It was erected around the beginning of the 13th century by the first Romanian rulers in the South region of Romania. Around the 14th century, Poenari was the main citadel of the Basarab rulers. In the next few decades, the name and the residents changed a few times but eventually the castle was abandoned and left in ruins. However, in the 15th century, realizing the potential for a castle perched high on a steep precipice of rock, Vlad III the Impaler repaired and consolidated the structure, making it one of his main fortresses. After Vlad’s death the castle fell to ruin but it is still standing in part and is available for tourists. To reach the castle, visitors need to climb 1,500 steps. The castle is considered to be one of the most haunted places in the world!
 Read more at http://listverse.com/2009/09/02/top-10-spooky-travel-destinations/

More spooky places out there to explore and with Halloween close, we may have to do just that!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. It's trying to rain and the wind is picking up!

6 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

I'll pass on that place Mr. Hermit, - my knees would give out halfway up all those stairs!
Kitchen table is fine for our coffee this morning, I'll bring a banana cream pie.

Momlady said...

If one used the stairs to exercise (going up and down at a fast pace) one would no doubt have excellent leg and gluteal muscles. But I'll pass anyway.

linda m said...

Climbing 1500 stairs alone would kill me. If that didn't kill me then seeing a ghost would most certainly cause me to have heart attack. LOL

Sixbears said...

Nasty history in that part of the world. If ghosts come from uneasy deaths, there was plenty of that going on.

JO said...

I'll pass on those stairs, good excuse not to go up there.

But having coffee in your kitchen sound like fun. Refill please

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
I can certainly understand! That is indeed a LOT of stairs!

Ooooohhh...! Banana creme pie! Ummm!

Thanks for the pie and the visit!


Hey Momlady...
I'd have to have some oxygen about half way up!

It would be good for building the muscles, I reckon!

Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Linda...
That's why I'm thinking that a visit through pictures is good enough!

Don't want you to have an attack!

Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Sixbears...
Bad history around there, for sure!

May not be any ghost, but why take the chance?

Thanks, my friend, for coming over today!


Hey Jo...
Looks like a lot of us are using the same excuse!

Always room for special folks at the table, sweetie!

Thanks for dropping in today!