Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Forgotten Patriot And Hero...!

Most of the men we consider the fathers of our country are well known and remembered. This man, however, is not!

Many folks have probably never heard of him, and yet his name should be ranked right up there with Washington, Jefferson, and the rest. Let's take the time this morning to take a closer look at Mr. Warren!

Joseph Warren
Father of the Revolution


Joseph Warren (1741-1775 AD) was regarded by many in his time as the true architect of the American Revolution. He was the key figure in one of history’s most famous tea parties. He wrote a set of Resolves that served as the blueprint for the first autonomous American government. He delivered a speech that sparked the first battles of the Revolutionary War. He sent Paul Revere out on one of history’s most famous rides. He was the only Patriot leader, prior to the Declaration of Independence, to risk his life against the British on the Battlefield (Sandler 55). And, remarkably, he has been largely lost to history. He was surrounded by names we are all familiar with, and yet his own name is barely ever heard these days. Interestingly, his brother went on to found Harvard Medical School, and fourteen US States have a Warren County named after him.

This one caught me totally off guard, I have to admit! I feel really ignorant that I didn't know about Mr. Warren before, but I'll bet I won't forget him again!

Let's have our coffee on the patio this morning. Time to start getting recipes for Thanksgiving, I think!

9 comments:

Sixbears said...

I never knew. It's funny sometimes what history forgets.

Momlady said...

Didn't know about him. Thank you HJ. Wonder why his name isn't included in the books.

JO said...

Well now I know about another great person from our beginings. Thank you for another great history lesson.

I have to dig up some recipes to share and wouldn't mind getting some new ones. Sounds like a great way to start the day.

linda m said...

I have never heard of him before. I love it when you teach me something new. Thanks.

Ragnar said...

Thanks for the post. His memory should be kept alive and honored.

Gorges Smythe said...

Perhaps his lack of fame is due to his passing so young.

Dizzy-Dick said...

In Pennsylvania there are towns and counties that have his name. I wondered where that name came from.

BBC said...

Does our history include being proud we killed a bunch of indians and took their country away from them?

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
Seems like a lot of what we forget is because it is just too convenient to not remember! Wonder why this man wasn't mentioned more in the books?

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Momlady...
I was wondering about the same thing! Seems like a lot of things are left out of the books!

Thanks, my friend, for your visit!


Hey Jo...
You know that I'm always glad to share what I know or find out!

I'm just happy that you find it interesting!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in today!


Hey Linda...
I love it when I find out new things as well! Can't ever know too much true history, I think!

Thanks so much for coming over today!


Hey Ragnar...
That it should, my friend, that it should.

Thanks so much for coming over today!


Hey Gorges...
I hadn't thought about that but it could very well be!

Anyway, I sure appreciate you coming over today!


Hey Dizzy...
I would imagine that more than just a few are named after him...at least, I would hope so!

Thanks so much for coming over today!