Monday, November 5, 2012

Pre-Election Monday Mystery...!

Tomorrow is the big election, as you all know!

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired of politics. Tired of all the speeches and empty promises and postering! For that reason, I've tried to find something just a bit different for today's mystery. If nothing else, it might just help us to focus on something other than politics. Wouldn't that be nice?

Kryptos




Kryptos is a sculpture by American artist James Sanborn located on the grounds of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Langley, Virginia, in the United States. Since its dedication on November 3, 1990, there has been much speculation about the meaning of the encrypted messages it bears. It continues to provide a diversion for employees of the CIA and other cryptanalysts attempting to decrypt the messages. The ciphertext on one half of the main sculpture contains 869 characters in total, however Sanborn released information in April of 2006 stating that an intended letter on the main half of Kryptos was missing. This would bring the total number of characters to 870 on the main portion. The other half of the sculpture comprises a Vigenère encryption tableau, comprised of 869 characters, if spaces are counted. The first person to publicly announce solving the first three sections, in 1999, was James Gillogly, a computer scientist from southern California, who deciphered 768 of the characters. The portion that he couldn’t solve, the remaining 97 or 98 characters, is the same part which has stumped the government’s own cryptanalysts.

Ya know, after studying this code, I understand it almost as much as I do the contents of some of the speeches I've heard! At least it's something different!

Let's have our coffee on the patio this morning. Oh...don't pass up the chance to vote if you haven't already! Remember, it's not only your right, but your duty!

12 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Maybe Nancy P. can solve it - just put it in a bill, pass it and then tax it!
We are taking neighbors with us to vote tomorrow. God, I wish this was over already.....

JMD said...

I only wish it was going to be over. Following the election will come all the "analysis" ad anauseum. Makes me glad we no longer have a tv.

Keep the coffee hot and I will bring honey bun cake! Tastes just like a cinnamon roll but there is a lot more of it.

Momlady said...

I'll be voting tomorrow. I, too, am tired of all the rhetoric, etc. I don't watch the speeches since I already know for whom I'm voting. I don't believe politicians anyway. Too bad we can't vote Goofy into office. Or will we?

Sixbears said...

Voting tomorrow. Those nice politicians have sent so much woodstove starter in my mail I've been unable to use it all.

Dizzy-Dick said...

The politicians speak in codes. Wouldn't be great if they really said what they mean?

linda m said...

I also am so tired of this election. Unfortunately, here in WI we have been voting almost solid for over a year - we had the Governor's recall election. As far as I am concerned all politicians "speak with forked tongue". Sometimes I want to write my own name on the ballot. But I will cast my vote tomorrow and do my civic duty.

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Sixbears: Hardly any garbage mail here. First time ever. I guess they spent all their money on tv ads. Never saw any 'em if they did - I don't watch it. I have ad blocker on the laptop so I don't see those either. People are finally getting their info from other sources.

Duke said...

I will be glad when tomorrow is over, I hope I won't be sad.

JO said...

Don't watch much tv anymore. Used to turn it on for the voices while I crochet but that politcal crap got on my nerves so I started to listen to CDs instead.
I'll have a refill please did our walk around this morning in the chilly morning.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
That's one person that I wish would go away, for sure!

Glad you and the neighbors are going together! A true sign of strength.

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey JMD...
I haven't had a cake like that before, so I'm looking forward to trying it!

Don't you just hate it when they have to spend a couple of hours telling us what the speech makers just said? Guess they think we are stupid!

Thanks for dropping in today!


Hey Momlady...
I took Mom to the polls last week to vote early, and I voted as well. Figured that as long as I was there I might as well!

Turns out that was a good choice, as the lines for voting tomorrow are expected to really be long!

You have a great day, and thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Sixbears...
nice of them to help light your fires, isn't it?

At least these ads are good for something!

Thanks, my friend, for coming by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Speaking in code is right! Saying what they mean, or meaning what they say would be a welcome change!

Thanks, buddy, for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
This election is just so important I guess we will have to put up with it for one more day!

Let's hope all goes smoothly! Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Duke...
I hear ya on that one, buddy! I hear ya!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Jo...
You are better off listening to the cds, I think!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over this morning!

MamaHen said...

I remember seeing this sculpture one of the times I visited DC. The art department of the university I attended made it a biannual trip so this piece and other public art were definite stopping points. It's pretty cool in person especially.

HermitJim said...

Hey Anne...
I can only imagine! It's great that you got a chance to visit it!

Glad you made it back safely from the honeymoon!

I sure do appreciate you stopping by today!