Saturday, November 17, 2012

Remembering When Saturdays Were Fun...!

Back when I was a kid, way back in the stone age, Saturday was my favorite day of the week!

My sisters and I always looked forward to Saturday with unbridled anticipation. We used to turn on the television (10 inch screen) and watch the test pattern until the shows started! Cartoons, the serials, Sky King, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Zorro...the list just goes on and on! By noon we were all outside reliving and acting out the shows we just saw! By 9 PM we were worn smooth out! Tired from riding the range, chasing the bad guys, saving the universe and all the other adventures that our very active imaginations could come up with! Falling asleep was never a problem, ya know? Those were some wonderful days, remember?



I don't think that anyone could argue that back in the 50s, the western was very popular. In fact, the television shows made big stars out of a lot of cowboys and cowgirls!



Do these videos bring back some memories for you? I hope they do, and I hope that those memories are good ones!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. It's supposed to warm up to the 70s, but that won't happen until the afternoon!

9 comments:

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

Now that bought back a lot of fond memories! When I was little I met Buffalo Bob Smith and won a Howdy Doody marionette. Wish I still had it - probably worth a fortune!
Alas, those innocent days are gone now, but at least we can tell our grandkids about them. Coffee in the kitchen is just fine with me - it's 22 here!

Momlady said...

Yep, those were the good ole days and I wish we had them back!

Sixbears said...

I used to love watching Saturday morning cartoons, but it cut too deeply into my outdoor play time.

JO said...

I remember some of them. Do you remember Andy "Jingles" Devine? I was reminded of him when I went to Kingman, AZ.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Coffee in the kitchen it is just plain ugley here today.

linda m said...

Sure do remember the "good old days". Saturday morning TV just isn't the same anymore. I can't stand watching it. Thanks for the memories.

Bob Mc said...

Saturday was kid's day at a local theater, years before we owned a black and white TV. Cost 25 cents to get in. Cartoons and serials. Westerns, The Shadow, The Wolf Man, Frankenstein, etc.

Anonymous said...

The days of yesteryear were wonderfule! We could roam at will and not feel danger; we could explore and learn. We learned to be social back then. This is sadly lacking in today's society. Ahhhhhh, what a time. Don't shoot your eye out! LOL

Anonymous said...

The 50's was before my time but I remember waking up to that prayer concerning Flight (touch the face of God?), then hearing the Star Spangled Banner. Then the Jack Le Laine show.

Unknown said...

I really feel for the parents of kids who live in areas where they can't (or won't) get cable television. For it seems that the big four mainstream networks have all but abandoned airing cartoons on Saturday mornings.