Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hey D.O.D., So Not Funny...!

Sometimes even the D.O.D. makes mistakes. Well, maybe more often than "sometimes!"

We all know that our government often acts without thinking. Certainly they are not the only ones that screw up, but some of their screw ups can certainly be massive in the negative effects on others. This is just one example of what I mean!

Department of Defense Photo Shoot over Manhattan




On Monday April 27th, 2009, many New Yorkers were shocked to see a low-flying Boeing 747 trailed by an F-16 circling the Statue of Liberty. Thankfully, the spectacle was not another terrorist attack, but a phenomenally stupid photo shoot organized by the Air Force. Many citizens of New York – including Mayor Bloomberg – had not been warned about the planned photo op. The aircraft caused widespread panic in downtown New York. Thousands streamed out of residences and businesses, calling their loved ones and fearing the worst. The jets circled for an hour, got their pictures and soared off. 



Incredibly, another photo shoot was planned to take place in Washington, D.C., soon after the one in New York, however following the disaster in New York a government official was quick to confirm that this had been canceled. Ultimately Louis Caldera, a former Secretary of the Army who ran the White House Military office, took the blame for the terribly thought-out plan and said: “While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused.”

I hope that I never make this type of unthinking move! I would hope that I and most of the people I know would be more aware of the possible consequences! I reckon that's why we don't have jobs in the government, right?

Coffee in the kitchen once again. How about some toasted homemade bread with applesauce?

6 comments:

Phyllis N/W Jersey) said...

I remember that day well. Why is it that we always have to suffer when the idiots in Washington screw up? Alas, our last election put more of 'em there!
Coffee in the kitchen is fine with me - it's 19 here! I'll bring some cinnamon for the apple sauce.

Sixbears said...

Why does DOD stupidity even surpirse us anymore? Wait, aren't they the guys with nukes?

linda m said...

It is hard to believe that these are the people in charge of running this Country. "Stupid is as stupid does". Homemade bread is always welcome.

JO said...

OH Brother is all I can say.

But I can say yes to the toasted bread and coffee.

JMD said...

There seems to be a lot of stupidity going on in high places. Just saying.

How's the cat doing? Bet he's growing. Has he slowed his pace down a bit yet?

HermitJim said...

Hey QPT...
Pretty funny!

Thanks for coming over.


Hey Phyllis...
That's a pretty good question! One we'll never get the answer to, I'm afraid!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Sixbears...
Yep! They are the ones with the nukes, and that is a very scary thought!

Thanks for the visit today, my friend!


Hey Linda...
Just one more reason we are in the shape we are in!

Plenty of bread to go around! Jelly too!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Jo...
Not much else to say, I guess!

I'll make you some fresh toast, sweetie! Thanks for coming over today!


Hey JMD...
I don't know if it is increasing or whether I just notice it more!

Buddy is still running at full power and shows no signs of slowing down! Eats like a horse!

Hey, thanks for coming over today!