Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday Travels To Costa Rica...!

The reason I wanted to go to Costa Rica today was to talk about this palm tree.

I don't believe that anyone could ever know all of the unusual trees and plants that make up our world, but it's always fun to find a new (to me) tree to share with you!

Pejibaye Palm



Location: Costa Rica & Nicaragua

This tree is native to Central and South America, although it is primarily found in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. The Pejibaye palm is armed with stiff, black spikes that arrange themselves in circular rows from the base to the top of the tree. These tend to grow to around 20 meters. The leaves can grow up to 3 meters long. Native Americans usually ate the fruit after fermenting it and was a major part of their diet. Today, the fermented fruit is still very popular.

Ya know...I may have to get a couple of these for my yard! I mean, a tall tree that looks cool, is very decorative, and has fruit that ferments very well! What more could you want?

Coffee on the patio this morning. We can always watch the cat chasing those little geckos around on the fence!

7 comments:

Sixbears said...

You might even get it to grow in TX. Would not do too well here in the land of Northereasters.

I know some people who consume a mostly fermented diet. :)

Phyllis (N/W Jersey) said...

I hope they wait until the fruit falls to the ground!
Coffee on the patio is just fine - I'll bring some ginger snaps and apple butter again. Love that apple butter!

Anonymous said...

DIY sewing needles - awesome!

linda m said...

I think I like that tree - wouldn't grow here in WI tho. Coffee on the patio and watching buddy chase geckos sounds like a good time to me.

JO said...

Did you leave with out us?
That's one nasty looking tree. Bet enough of those on the property line would keep out undesirable people.

Would love to watch Buddy chase geckos

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
I kinda thought that the snow in your area might not fare well for these trees!

Many folks make a daily diet of fermented foods. Never tried too many of them myself.

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Phyllis...
I know that I'm not climbing the tree to get the fruit! I'll wait!

Ginger snaps and apple butter sounds like a winner to me!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Anon 7:38...
Gotta wonder how long those needles get! Could come in handy for several things!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Linda...
Lots of entertainment in watching ol' Buddy find things to play with!

Thanks for the visit today! I appreciate it!


Hey Jo...
I don't know if it would stick ya or not, but I don't want to try!

Looks scary enough to stop folks, I reckon!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wonder what the fermented fruit looks and taste like...but not wanting to try any myself, HJ.