Thursday, May 16, 2013

Let's Talk "People Paper"...!

Here is another thing that's mostly taken for granted by most of us. That is, until you run out! Then it becomes a real issue!

Most of the people I know make sure they don't run out of this commodity and stock up when it goes on sale! Guess this is one luxury most folks don't want to do without! That includes yours truly, for sure!

Toilet Paper



Although paper had been known as a wrapping and padding material in China since the 2nd century BC, the first use of toilet paper in human history dates back to the 6th century AD, in early medieval China. During the later Tang Dynasty (618–907 AD) a Muslim Arab traveler to China in the year 851 AD remarked:
“[The Chinese] are not careful about cleanliness, and they do not wash themselves with water when they have done their necessities; but they only wipe themselves with paper.”


During the early 14th century (Yuan Dynasty) it was recorded that in modern-day Zhejiang province alone there was an annual manufacturing of toilet paper amounting in ten million packages of 1,000 to 10,000 sheets of toilet paper each. The first producer of ‘perforated’ toilet paper was the British Perforated Paper Company in 1880. Other forms of non-perforated toilet paper were available the same time and earlier, notably from the Scott brothers (Scott Paper Company) and Joseph Gayetty. Before this invention, wealthy people used wool, lace or hemp for their ablutions, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize husks, fruit skins, or seashells, and cob of the corn depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. I will close this list with a wonderful quote by François Rabelais, the sixteenth century satirist who considered the back feathers of a live goose to be the ideal medium for this job:
 “He who uses paper on his filthy bum, will always find his bullocks lined with scum”

In all the years I've spent camping, I have never considered myself a sissy for wanting some people paper around. Sure, I could have found another way in most cases, but the paper was always my personal choice! Guess I'm funny that way!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. It might shower and we don't want to get caught by surprise, right?

9 comments:

Chickenmom said...

On my grandparents farm they used to keep catalogs in their outhouse. (but they sure weren't to look at)
Let me borrow your stove and I'll make french toast for all today!

Phyllis (N/W Jersey)

Sixbears said...

In my house we call it "gift wrap."

Bit cool this morning. Coffee in the kitchen watching the fog burn off the lake.

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -
One of the first things I learned from Hubby was "we will never run out of potty paper". We prefer different brands, thin vs thick, but just have 2 rollers in the bathroom. At least we always know there's something there. But stones and seashells?? I'm not sure about those.....

Big hugs -

linda m said...

Toilet paper is the one item I will never run out of. And my "paper" better be soft and absorbent, if you know what I mean. It is a beautiful morning here in S.E. WI, so I am going to enjoy it while it lasts. Have a great day.

BBC said...

Some survivalists have 3000 rounds of ammo and two rolls of toilet paper. Hahahaha

JO said...

Well those are very interest facts. Some I could live without but not my paper. For yeats now I have carried a roll in my car along with sweat pants and a hoody.
Never know where I might end up on some adventure. And of course bottled water.

Love some coffee please.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I rather like the Romans way of using a wet sponge on a stick or perhaps the French bidet. Seems much more economical not to mention cleaner.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
I remember those days of magazines and catalogs in the outhouse. Better than nothing!

French toast sounds pretty good!

Thanks for coming over!



Hey Sixbears...
Never heard it called that, but it works for me.

Sounds like a good place to have coffee!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Sis...
I think having 2 rollers in the john is one way to cover all the bases. Plus, it does make sure that something is always handy!

I hear ya on the stones and seashells thing...

Thanks for coming by this morning!



Hey Linda...
Just one of those handy things none of us want to be without!

Funny how everyone has their own preference on the paper!

Enjoy the morning, and thank you for dropping by today!



Hey BBC...
Guess it's all a matter of priorities! Paper over bullets for me!

Thanks for the visit this morning!



Hey Jo...
Never a bad idea to have some in the car along with the water, sweats, and even a first aid kit!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!



Hey Ladyhawthorne...
Seems like a very practical way to go, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for coming by this morning!

Mamahen said...

Insightful as always.....while I dont keep a roll inn the car, I do always have a roll of paper towles and figure they would beat leaves or grass if the need presented its self....Thanks for the invite and have a good day!