Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Mystery In Space...!

Today's mystery is a little far out of the range of our normal mysteries. Of course, I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a "Normal Mystery!"

I'll be the first to say that I have never heard of this one, though. I don't remember us talking much about the mysteries in space, and I'll bet there are many of them!

South Atlantic Anomaly



Did you ever wonder if there was a Bermuda Triangle in Space? No? Well you’re probably wondering it now, and you’re in luck! Because there totally is, and it’s called the South Atlantic Anomaly. The SAA is the area where the band of radiation known as Earth’s inner Van Allen belt comes closest to the Earth’s surface.

It’s an area centered just a bit off the coast of Brazil, and it’s responsible for numerous problems with satellites and spacecraft, from messing up their programs to actually shutting down their function. The Hubble Telescope is actually turned off from taking observations when passing through the Anomaly, and the International Space Station avoids scheduling spacewalks when passing through it (which happens up to 5 times a day). It’s not just technical problems, either—some astronauts report seeing “shooting stars” in their visual field as they pass through.

The cause of all these problems isn’t fully understood. The main suspect is the high levels of radiation that accumulate at the anomaly, but scientists aren’t sure exactly how or why the effects occur. So let’s just pin this one on aliens.

Nothing like finding out that strange things happen out in space as well! Not exactly the most comforting thing in the world, or should I say " out of this world?"

Coffee out on the patio this morning. I'll bring the baby kittens out for some air!

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Never heard of this one, Mr. Hermit!
Cold here, 33 with frost warnings.
Would love to have a kitten - are you going to keep all of them?

linda m said...

I love Mysteries like this one - thanks. I have flown thru the Bermuda Triangle a number of times and it really creeps me out. Now you tell me there is one in space as well. I know the aliens are here. Coffee outside sounds good and I do want to play with the kittens.

Sixbears said...

We really are just taking baby steps in space. Most of the stuff out there we don't really understand.

JO said...

This is very interesting. This is the first time I have heard of this.
Thanks for bringing it to us.

Would love some coffee on the patio.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Wow, a mystery and a space story. Right up my ally, a great combination. Of course there is a lot of mysteries out in space.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
I don't want to rub it in, but it's 81 right now in Houston and the sun is shining!

There are only 3 of them and I don't know what their future holds in store! I have a feeling that Mom will want the runt!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Linda...
One thing that makes this so unusual is that we haven't heard of it before! At least, I haven't.

You're in luck then as they are getting to the playful stage!

Many thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Sixbears...
I don't think we will ever know all that is out there or understand it. Wondrous place!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Jo...
You know that I'm always ready to share what little knowledge I find!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!



Hey Dizzy...
I already knew that you would find this of interest! Pretty cool, huh?

Too bad you can't see it with your telescope!

Thanks, buddy, for the visit today!

Mamahen said...

This is just the kind of thing my hubby always likes to hear about so ill have to pass it on.. Kittens are always so cute....Gonna be warm here today so patio sounds nice...Have a good day!