Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mind Over Matter...!

I know that all of us have heard of the monks that can control their minds and all through meditation, but just how much control they have really surprised me!

The very fact that this was studied by scientist and couldn't be explained any other way says a lot! Sometimes even the most educated folks have to admit that the mind has capabilities that just can't be explained away. Must be hard to admit that mind control of this magnitude can be achieved without the "help" of modern science, ya know? Me...I'm a believer!

Drying Sheets



Judging by their ability to meditate for hours on end, to abstain from food for days, and their vows of silence, most us would agree that Tibetan Monks have better control over their minds and bodies than the average person. Still, what’s particularly amazing is some of them can control physiological processes, such as blood pressure and body temperature – feats many medical doctors find astounding.

In one of the most notable exhibits of their skills, a group of Tibetan monks allowed physicians to monitor the monk’s bodily changes as they engaged in a meditative yoga technique known as g Tum-mo. During the process the monks were cloaked in wet, cold sheets (49 f / 9.4 c) and placed in a 40 f (4.5 c) room. In such conditions, the average person would likely experience uncontrollable shivering and would shortly suffer hypothermia. However, through deep concentration, the monks were able to generate body heat, and within minutes the researchers noticed steam rising from the sheets that were covering the monks. Within an hour, the sheets were completely dry.

Although, the display was fascinating to the doctors, for the monks it was an ordinary occurrence. In fact, new monks use g Tum-mo as a way of proving their meditative strength and hold contests to see who can dry the most sheets in one night.The Buddhists say the heat they generate is a byproduct of the meditation, since it takes energy to reach a state of alternate reality – a place unaffected by our everyday world.

Most folks I know don't have any where near that much control over their minds. In fact, some of them have no control at all! Come to think about it, they might have even lost their minds long ago!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. I'm baking bread and need to keep an eye on it! Don't worry, I'll share!

9 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Maybe that is how they survived in those mountains for such a long time!
Amazing what the mind can really do.
Bread sounds wonderful - I'll bring some honey for dipping.

Momlady said...

There are times I wish I could meditate like that so I could go into an alternate state. Appreciate your willingness to share bread.

linda m said...

If you are baking bread and willing to share I will be a very patient visitor. Sometimes I think I envy those monks being able to control their bodies just through meditation. Wish my mind was in better shape - there are days I think I've lost my marbles. Oh well, just getting old I guess. At least the topic of my lost marbles keeps my grandson laughing. Have a great day.

Dizzy-Dick said...

The mind still holds secretes from the medical world. It can create illness or wellness in the body. Psycosimatic illness is real enough but caused by the mind. I do believe in mind over matter, but if it don't matter, don't mind it.

Judy said...

Makes you wonder if meditation shouldn't be taught to folks with brain injuries or kids with ADD.

I have plenty of different flavors of jelly to go with Chickenmom's honey. And can I have a heal, please?

Mamahen said...

A very thought provoking post. Thank you and the bread sounds wonderful. Even though I can do a fair job in cooking most of the time, i've never been able to master the art of breadmaking and admire those who have!

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Honey is always welcome here at my table! Good stuff!

I would imagine that being able to not feel the cold would certainly help!

Thanks for coming over this morning!



Hey Momlady...
Breaking bread with friends is always good!

A lot of us could use those altered states from time to time!

Thanks for dropping in today!



Hey Linda...
I always like to share whatever I cook. Living alone I don't get the chance often, except when I take some to Mom.

Little ones just don't understand that this is what will happen to them in later years! I know I never did!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Dizzy...
The medical field can't make any money off of meditation, so it must be phony! At least, that's what they want us to think!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by this morning!



Hey Judy...
I'll save ya the heels since you are bringing jelly! Any kind will do!

Thanks for the visit today, my long time friend!



Hey Mamahen...
I used to bake at least once a week, but I have really slowed down lately.

I really appreciate the visit today!

JO said...

I can't control my mind for 10 min.

especially when i read to the bottom and you said baking bread. I was done with whatI read on top.
Of course I'm late again so I guess it's all gone.

Unknown said...

It must take years of practice. I wish I was more dedicated and could achieve what they have. Truly amazing!