Saturday, May 11, 2013

You Sure You Want Decaffe...?

I personally don't care for decaf coffee. I need all the caffeine I can get in the morning, ya know?

Other folks, like my Mother, like their decaf. I have to say that really she drinks the Folgers half decaf, which to me is about the same. It just taste different to me! Guess that's why there are so many different kinds of coffee out there.

Decaffeinated Coffee



As everyone knows, coffee beans naturally have caffeine. That’s why most people drink it. But millions of “health conscious” Americans reach for decaf over the caffeinated brew. Easy enough, since it’s available in every coffee shop and every office across the country. It’s as American as apple pie.

Except, of course, that it’s not American at all (incidentally, neither is apple pie). The process of decaffeination was invented by a German named Ludwig Roselius in 1903. It was later widely marketed in the U.S. under the brand name Sanka. In addition to caffeine, coffee also has more than 400 other chemicals, all of which add their own personality to the overall taste, texture, and smell. So removing one specific chemical while keeping everything else intact isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Roselius’s process involved steaming the coffee beans with acid and then soaking them in benzene, which pulled out the caffeine. Since benzene has an annoying tendency to cause bone marrow cancer, modern decaffeination is slightly different.

I think I'll just stick to my regular dark roast coffee! It may just be a mental thing, but I don't want decaf...thank you just the same!

Coffee inside again this morning. Another storm is coming through!

13 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Not drinking caffeine is a choice I make to be able to sleep, not have an overactive bladder, and not feel trembly when I drink too much Coke or chocolate. It is not that I am "health conscious" so much as "body conscious"--don't like how I feel. And, I don't drink coffee, at all, ever. But, coffee smells soooo delicious.

Chickenmom said...

Real coffee all day and then a couple of cups of decaf after dinner for me. Now that you have mentioned apple pie, I'll bring a fresh baked one for all to enjoy this morning!

Phyllis (N/W Jersey)

Gorges Smythe said...

But you have to wonder HOW slightly!

linda m said...

My paternal grandmother always drank Sanka. I'm like you, I need my caffeine in the morning. Something to start the motor ya know!

Sixbears said...

I'll stick with high test -for my health!

Rob said...

I like the taste of coffee & used to drink at least a gallon every day. As I got older that changed and so did when I could drink it if i wanted to sleep that night. I now rarely have more than 2 cups in the morning (& rarely have less).

Decaf is nice if I want a cup in the evening, just for the taste.

Anonymous said...

I think it tastes strange dacaf coffee. I have tasted one kind that almost tasted coffe but I've never seen that brand again :-) :-) :-)

Thankfully I sleep without any problems even if having a cup late at night :-)

Have a great day!

JO said...

I never liked the taste of decaf. I have cut way back on my intake of coffee just because I realized I was wasting quite a bit because I
didn't have time to finish it and I never drink reheated coffee I think it's gross.

We have had some rain but not to much. Like having coffee in the kitchen with good friends.

HermitJim said...

Hey P.P....
Most folks that don't drink coffee still think that it smells good! Wonder why that is?

I really appreciate you coming over today!



Hey Phyllis...
Now that's something that really goes good with coffee, no matter what kind it is!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Gorges...
I was wondering just what all is in the modern process, but I'm not sure I really want to know!

Thanks for dropping in today!



Hey Linda...
You don't see Sanka around in the stores much anymore.

I do understand about the caffeine jump start!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Sixbears...
I hear ya on the healthy choice of high test! Good choice!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Rob...
I think that many of our taste change with age. I know some of mine did!

Coffee has never kept me from sleeping as far as I know!

Two cups wouldn't quite get it done for me, I'm afraid!

I really appreciate you coming over today!



Hey Christer...
You drink mostly tea, right?

Funny how some brands seem to suddenly disappear of the store shelves.

Thanks for coming over today!

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
I hear ya on the taste. Just not quite the same for me!

I keep a pot close all through the day, but I have to zap it in the microwave now and again, and that I NEVER used to do!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

For me it is extra strong and dark Colombian coffee. Nothing beats a cup of it with a chat with a friend.

Mamahen said...

Love the smell and even love the taste of a well brewed cup of coffee. Just have to many health issues that tea is less of an irritant to so I rarely drnk it.When I do its a real treat. A cozy kitchen chat with friends sounds nice. Thanks for the invite n have a good day!

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
I like the dark roast Colombian coffee as well. I used to be all over the Arabica.

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Momahen...
I do love the smell and taste of fresh coffee, and so far no issues of health have kept me from enjoying it.

Guess the occasional cup is better than none, right?

Many thanks for coming over today!