Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Let's Talk "Senses"...!

Today we are talking about something a little different! At least, this was different from what I thought I knew!

Thanks to our friends over at Listverse, I learned something new while researching this article. Hopefully, this will be new to you as well! I love learning something new each day! Keeps my mind working pretty good, I think.

Senses

How many senses do you have? At least nine. The five we all know about: Sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch, were first proposed by Aristotle, but there are now four more which are agreed among scientists to be official senses, these are:

1. Thermoception – the sense of heat (or it’s absence) on our skin,

2. Equilibrioception – our sense of balance, which is determined by the fluid filled cavities in our inner ear.

3. Nociception – Pain.

4. Proprioception – or ‘body awareness’. This is the conscious knowledge of where our body parts are without having to look, for example, close your eyes and waggle your big toe, you still know where it is in relation to the rest of you.

Some neurologists also argue that there are even more than 9. What about hunger? Or thirst? It’s certainly a grey area.


Isn't it amazing to know we have names for these senses that I had never heard about? Heck, I feel kinda special knowing that, don't you?

Let's have our coffee out on the patio this morning. The roses are blooming all over the place and the smell is terrific!

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

We learn a lot from you Mr. Hermit.
All those new words made me hungry!
I'll bring a big box of DD's for all.
Roses, all colors, are one of my favorite flowers.

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -
Nice to have someone tell us about the others! Yes, I know where my big toe is, but just never thought about it - never thought about feeling the sand under that big toe either until I learned it had a name - Fun! And I'll smell the coffee and roses with you, gladly. I think smell is the most evocative of all the senses, at least the ones I know about ~

Big Hugs -

Rob said...

Not to say that knowing your big toe is there and where that is isn't important in the overall scheme of things but this really sounds like people with too much time on their hands.

Momlady said...

Yay sunshine! After over 3 inches of rain the sun finally shines. Hope it lasts all day. I might even get some work done outside. Coffee sounds good and I do like roses (although they won't grow for me).

JO said...

Well now they have names for these senses. Names I can never pronounce. If you think about it didn't we know about these?

We can ponder over these new names and senses over coffee while we smell the roses.

Dizzy-Dick said...

The problem is that the one sense we all should use more is the one most of us don't use at all; the common sense.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Donuts are always welcome here!

The roses here are loving all the wet and seem to relish the cooler weather!

Thanks for coming over this morning!



Hey Sis...
I guess we never miss not knowing those names. Something else I'll probably forget before the day is over.

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Rob...
Some poor slob at university is getting paid a lot of money to come up with this stuff!

Still, I guess it's interesting enough. Don't know when I'll use it, though.

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Momlady...
I'm happy that you are finally getting some sun! Enjoy it while it last!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Jo...
Guess we all knew about them, but I didn't even know they had a name!

Seems like a good way to spend the coffee visit, doesn't it?

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by this morning!



Hey Dizzy...
That's the one that we all could stand to use more! Not many use it anymore, I think.

Thanks, buddy, for dropping in today!