Sunday, December 24, 2017

Go Easy On The Black Licorice...!

This time of the year, all kinds of candy is plentiful, and it seems to be everywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing, right?

According to this article I took from Listverse, it depends on how much you have. Read this article and see if you think reaching for more is a good idea or not.

Black Licorice



Black licorice can be dangerous, especially for people over age 40. The FDA released a report earlier this year cautioning against the effects of consuming black licorice on a regular basis or in large quantities. The warning from the FDA came after a 2016 case where someone who often consumed black licorice experienced heart problems that were attributed to the chewy candy.

Eating just 57 grams (2 oz) of black licorice, which is about three 2.5-centimeter (1 in) pieces, every day for two weeks can cause heart problems. Black licorice contains glycyrrhizin, a compound that causes potassium levels to decrease. When potassium levels fall, people are at risk of suffering from abnormal heart rhythms, high blood pressure, and even congestive heart failure.

People with existing heart problems are at higher risk of experiencing an adverse effect from consuming black licorice.

I think I'll stick with the homemade fudge and the cookies.

Coffee inside again this morning. Nasty cold outside.

9 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for the information!

Rob said...

Black licorice? What is the world coming to? Actually I used to really enjoy black licorice, not every day but often enough. Then one day I just stopped buying it, I can't remember the last time I had some....

It's damp outside because of the dew but it's another shorts & tee shirt day once we get passed that!
I spent a winter in Rockport Texas, great weather compared to the Olympic peninsula in Washington state or Minnesota but it was not shorts & flip-flop weather. I could look at the US temperature contour & that was happening down in southern Florida.
Took me 4 years to get here!

Merry Christmas!

JO said...

My dad loved the stuff but he always did things in moderation. Wish I would have learned that when it came to cookies.

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday. Full house here today for brunch

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
You are more than welcome, sir.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Rob...
I don't think I ever cared for it much. Guess that's a good thing.
Thanks for coming by this morning!


Hey Jo...
I hear ya on that about the cookies! Sometimes I sorta overdo it myself.
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by and Merry Christmas to you.

Lady Locust said...

Interesting! I like black licorice once in a while in the winter. I recently had some and felt like my immune system was in the tank. I thought maybe it was the brand. I'll probably just do without from now on. Thanks for the info.

HermitJim said...

Hey Lady Locust...
Might be a good idea to stay away. Better than taking a chance, right?
Thanks for stopping by today!

Dizzy-Dick said...

I'm safe. I hate the taste of licorice. There are only two things I don't like, licorice and coconut.

Momlady said...

I'm going to pass this on to a friend who loves black licorice and who is now having some heart problems. Thank you for the info.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Never heard of this, Bubba. Hubby likes licorice, and is meds for blood pressure (which we were told was due to his heart stent). I'll pass this info along if he has not already read it. Me, can't stand even the smell of it!

Big hugs ~