Thursday, December 6, 2007

Murky Thursday...

I guess every city is the same in the fact that each is filled with sad sounds a lot of the time. By sad, I mean the sirens of firetrucks, police cars , and ambulances....such as that. Those sounds are good in the fact that they mean help is on the way for someone, but sad in the fact that someone needs the help.

Yesterday there was a house fire in my neighborhood and the fire was so intense that it took the house next door with it. The lives of 2 families badly affected, made especially heartbreaking because of the time of the year. Makes you realize just how fragile life and peace of mind is... living in the city, packed so close together.

Sitting out on the patio this morning drinking my coffee, I am reminded how fortunate I am to live in a country where I have the freedom to move from one location to another without having to worry about borders, papers, travel permits, different currencies, languages, all of that. These freedoms are just some of the things we take for granted...but they came at a high price.

Freedom is not free...never has been! It is paid for by the blood and sacrifice of many, many men and women who willingly pay the ultimate price for our families as well as their own! We, as a whole, never say Thank You enough!

I wish that we watched out for our neighbors more than we do, that we earn some of the freedom being paid for by our troops daily. I wish that we could see our way clear to find a peaceful solution for neighborhood quarrels, for national and political conflicts, and for the pure insanity of what we call religious wars! But we don't...and won't...or can't!

Most are just like me...sitting on my patio, drinking my coffee, and thinking about all of this! Thinking about it...and doing nothing! Sometimes I'm ashamed of myself, and that's the truth.

I'm going to have some more coffee, laced this time with a decent shot of Hennesy! Some problem solver, huh? Sad! Really, really sad!!!

No comments: